Do I need to register?

December 28, 2021

Do I need to register my business with the Utah Division of Corporations and Commercial Code?

The answer is: it depends.

Whether you must file/register with the division depends on your business’s:

  • jurisdiction of formation;
  • activities; and
  • structure.

Remember that a business formed under the laws of Utah is a domestic business. A business formed under the laws of another jurisdiction, often another state, is a foreign business.

Division forms and the applicable laws are linked below, and we encourage you to review them. Please note that if another unit of government requires that you register with the division, you need to be registered. Also, we encourage you to check with the Utah State Tax Commission to make sure you have all of the information you need from a state tax perspective.

What if I need more help?

Please keep in mind that the division cannot give you legal advice. If you need help understanding how registration requirements apply to your business and its activities, you may consider seeking the advice of an attorney. The Utah State Bar’s Licensed Lawyer referral service can help you find a licensed attorney that meets your needs.


Utah nonprofit corporation

Foreign nonprofit corporation

Tribal nonprofit corporation

Utah profit corporation

Foreign profit corporation

Tribal profit corporation

Utah benefit corporation

Utah professional corporation

Utah business development corporation

Utah railroad corporation

Utah corporation sole

Limited Liability Companies (LLCs)

Utah LLC

Foreign LLC

Tribal LLC

Utah professional services LLC

Utah series LLC

Foreign series LLC

Utah low-profit LLC (L3C)

Utah benefit LLC


General partnership

Utah limited liability partnership (LLP)

Foreign limited liability partnership (LLP)

Tribal limited liability partnership (LLP)

Utah limited partnership (LP)

Foreign limited partnership (LP)

Tribal limited partnership

Utah limited liability limited partnership (LLLP)

Foreign limited liability limited partnership (LLLP)

Assumed Names (DBAs)


Real estate investment trust

Business trust

Cooperative Associations

Utah limited cooperative association

Foreign limited cooperative association

Utah agricultural cooperative association

  • Do I need to register?  |  Yes, you must file articles of incorporation with the division to incorporate a Utah agricultural cooperative association.

Applicable law  |Uniform Agricultural Cooperative Association Act, Utah Code Title 3, Chapter 1, Section 6 Filing articles of incorporation – Certificate of incorporation – Fees – Constructive notice